What is thread lift?
Way back, facelift surgery is the only available facial cosmetic treatment but with the developing applied science, there is already a non-invasive option called thread lift procedure.
Thread lift is one of the popular trend in the facial and skin world. Thread lift is a non- surgical facelift which helps treat sagging skin and fine lines. As time passes by and because of the ageing process, facial skin tends to lose volume and becomes lax. Thread lift claims to tighten the skin and forms the shape of your face for a better and younger look.
Although result may not be as dramatical as a surgical facelift, thread lifts has plenty of benefits
- It is non-invasive and safe
There will be no cutting and reattaching involved. Since this doesn’t entail surgical procedure, risk is very low
- Not permanent
Threads can be easily adjusted, replaced, or removed if you are not satisfied with the outcome
- Fast and minimal recovery
One of the biggest advantages of getting thread lifting is the recovery time is comparatively easy and fast compared to facelift which usually takes up to two weeks. After the treatment, you can readily go back to your daily routines
- Immediate and subtle result
Changes in the face and neck will be subtle since skin will only be lifted by few milimeters giving you appearance a more natural look
- Can be performed together with other non surgical procedures
One can undergo thread lift simultaneously with other non-surgical skin and facial procedure since risk is just low and recovery is fast. In this way, the different skin and facial procedure can complement each other which may result to the best facial outcome
Also called suture lift and nicknamed as lunchtime facelift surgery, thread lift procedure uses temporary threads to create a discreet but visible lift in the skin. Threads used are composed of 2 major parts, the suture and the cone, the suture acts as the frame under the skin surface to lift sagging skin tissue while the cones hold the suture in place
Thread lifts results comes from compacting the tissues and suspends the skin together with thread implantation. Instead of taking off the loose skin, it is elevated by stitching portions of it which slightly pulls back the skin and therefore tightens and lifts the facial skin.
On top of lifting facial sagging skin, threads also triggers the healing reaction of the body causing it to stimulate large stream of collagen to treated areas. Collagen is the one major part of the connective tissues. It has many purpose such as giving your skin structure and strengthening your bones. The older we get, the collagen production of the body decreases which reduces the skin thickness. As the skin grows weaker, it is unable to support the tissues under it causing it to be pulled down by gravity. Immersing collagen while skin laxity is still mild will help prevent it from getting worse.
Thread lifts are commonly used in what area?
Thread lifts can be done to different parts of the face
Cheeks. As we get old, cheeks will have more visible folds and wrinkles. Thread lifts will aid in lifting the sagging skin but take note that it won’t address the volume loss of the cheeks.
Eye. Thread lift procedure is done in the eye by inserting threads into skin near the eyebrow or under the eye. Eye thread lift gives a firmer and smoother look around the eye.
Eyebrow. Thread lifts in the brow will reduce wrinkles above the eyelids and will give the eyebrow a youthful appearance
Forehead. Sagging skin between the scalp and eyebrow can have forehead thread lift procedures
Jowl. The best candidates for the threads are those with developing jowls and sagging skin, usually around the cheeks and jawline. Before, facelift is the only option to address these face and skin concerns but now, thread lift is already an alternative
Nose. Threads are placed along the nasal bridge for the height and septum to give the nose a projection. After injections, threads lift the bridge and tip while collagen is formed to give supportable lift.
How long do facial threads last?
Results of thread lift may last up to 24 months depending on the type of thread to be used in your skin. It is important however that you know how to properly maintain it to make it last longer
How much does a thread lift Cost?
Thread lift cost normally starts at $695 but depending on the area you want to have the thread lift procedure performed, it may go up to $3695. Charges is not not per thread but based on the complexity of the thread lift and the desired results that you want to have.
Is a thread lift painful?
Thread lift is one of the most minimally invasive skin treatment however you may still feel slight discomfort during and after the thread lift procedure. Mild soreness and swelling may occur for few days which can be managed by taking pain reliever.
Is thread lift procedure safe?
Thread lift is deemed to be low risk so it is generally safe to have this treatment. However, just like other facial treatment procedures, there may be corresponding side effects such as temporary redness, soft skin tissue swelling, and bruising.
Despite the advance technology at this age and time, the thread lift is not without its own complications
- Thread protrusion
- Infection at the site of treatment
- Pulling and/or dimpling on the area where threads are inserted
- Lump or bulge in the skin caused by unintended movement of the thread
- Pain under the skin because of awkwardly placed threads
Can eyebags be removed without surgery?
There are several types of non-surgical eye treatments including dermal filler, PRP, and blepharoplasty
Dermal fillers are gel-liked substance used to fill-up the trough or area beneath the lower eyelid. Typically, they are made of hyaluronic acid – a sugar derivative which is naturally found in the body and can hold 1000 times its own weight in water. However, HA in dermal fillers are made in the laboratory. Its levels in our skin do change over time and as our body modifies or breaks it down with enzymes as part of our metabolic processes. Dermal fillers have been used to successfully correct tear troughs. It is important to note though that tear trough can be difficult to treat with derma fillers. Over filling the under eye with dermal fillers can increase the appearance of tiredness.
PRP or Platelet Rich Plasma is component of your blood that contains growth factor that serve various purposes ,such as collagen production, for younger looking appearance. For bag removal, It is injected in the eye area that you want to have cosmetically done.
Another way to reduce bags and dark circles on the lower eyelids is through Microneedling. How it works is by inducing collagen through puncturing the skin with fine needles. Although this cost less than dermal fillers, lower eyelid lasers and eyelid surgery, the effect of the treatment may take a while. The healing process is quick and one may need 6 sessions spaced 1 month apart. This is not recommended for those who prone to keloids and scars.
One of the most common non-surgical eye treatment is the non-surgical blepharoplasty also known as eyelid reduction or eye bag removal. Natural process of ageing and excessive sun exposure causes the skin to loose elasticity and blepharoplasty removes the excess skin and the fatty tissue surrounding the eye area. The treatment may be done using a plasma resurfacing and may take longer than the usual injectable procedures. You may feel moderately uncomfortable and sensitive during your eyelid procedure since this is the area where the skin is at its thinnest.
Plasma resurfacing is a non-laser treatment that uses plasma pen. Plasma energy comes out of a pen-like device
During the eyelid surgery you will be given local anaesthesia and sedation or general anaesthesia depending on the assessment of your doctor.
How long does it take to recover from a thread lift?
Compared to other procedure, thread lift has least recovery time. Downtime is just up to 3 days and you may actually go back to work right after thread lift is done unless it requires you to participate in a demanding and difficult activities.
What to expect after thread lift procedures?
- Irregularities of the skin may occur in the thread lift areas such as dimples, puckering, and bunching but this is just temporary
- Firmness under the skin
- Snapping of threads but this won’t cause unevenness. Tightness will become better after few weeks
- Give thread lift time to settle. You experience swelling and some changes in skin may occur.
- Threads are injected underneath the skin. They are also clear and cannot be seen even if the skin is fair and thin. Threads can only be visible if placed too close to the surface of the skin.
- Post care, try to be gentle when cleaning your face especially on the thread lift area
- Right after the thread lift, there will be swelling around the thread. It won’t be visible but it will make the thread feel thicker so it is as if you are feeling the threads. After the healing completed, there are threads that you will feel due to its migration. It is like a pimple like sensation under the skin. In many cases, it can be eliminated with appropriate soft massage.
What are the do’s and don’ts before and after the thread lift treatment?
For the safety of your well being, it is always important to strictly follow the instructions given to you by your doctor to manage side effects and avoid further complications
- Caffeine and nicotine should be avoided before the procedure.
- To decrease swelling and bruising, take Arnica tablets 3 days prior, and continuing for 7 days after your procedure
- Refrain from taking Vitamin E, Fish oil, and green tea for 10 days before and after the surgery.
- Avoid Aspirin, Nurofen, or anti-inflammatories for at least 2 to 3 weeks before the procedure.
- If you are taking anti-inflammatories, anticoagulant or blood platelet anti-aggregation drugs please advise the Clinic.
- Avoid drinking alcoholic beverage 48 hours before and after the procedure
- You may need to have anti-viral therapy for 3 days before and after surgery if you experienced cold sores.
- Vitamin C is recommended for smokers because they tend to heal slower than non-smokers
- Apply cold compress gently on the treated skin 48 hours after treatment. Be careful not to put pressure on the skin where threads were implanted.
- Right after the procedure, and for at least 24 hours reduce ‘frequent speaking’ and ‘excessive laughter’. Excessive speaking and laughter can increase unwanted facial movements and may affect the results.
- Raise the treated area when sleeping. Use extra pillows and support, and sleep on your back for 7 days. Do not sleep with pressure on your face.
- Antibiotic therapy is required post-surgery. Your Doctor will prescribe an appropriate antibiotic for you.
- Consume soft, warm food only for the next 7 days so that your mouth only opens a small amount
- Drink plenty of fluids but refrain from using straw because it distort facial muscle. Avoid very hot drinks.
- Do not pull your face down or raise your eyebrows or smile.
- Do not smoke if possible.
- Avoid shaving for 10 days after procedure (because of involuntary grimacing). After 10 days you may shave with a new blade, allowing one pass over the skin without contorting the face. Normal shaving may be resumed after 1 month.
- Do not use make up for 3-5 days.
- Hold face with your hands if crying, laughing, coughing or sneezing to avoid excessive use of facial muscles.
- No difficult activities for at least 14 days.
- Take Paracetamol or Paracetamol with codeine as needed.
Thread lift gone wrong
If you are unhappy with the result of your thread lift, you can always request to have it adjusted, replaced, or even removed. Thread lift is temporary and when threads are removed, you will just go back to how you looked before the lift.
Individual with very thin skin due to genetics, advancing age, or too much sun exposure may not be a good candidate of thread lift. Other facial rejuvenation treatment may be recommended for them.
Generally, thread lift is low risk but over time, there are non-cosmetic doctors who are already offering it. It is still best to seek the services of certified cosmetic professionals who specializes in this area to prevent you from running into further complications.
Are the procedures of all thread lifts the same?
There are different methods done when doing thread lift based from the threads used and technique of putting the lift thread. It is important that you have it performed by a highly skilled doctor who understands the anatomy of your face to avoid serious side effects and get the results that you want to have. It is also suggested to do research beforehand to make sure that you know what to expect and you are confident that the treatment is the right one for you.